Yemen’s exiled government says it will not participate in U.N.-brokered peace talks unless Houthi rebels, in accordance with a U.N. resolution, withdraw from territory the rebels have captured.
Yemeni President Abdu Rabu Mansour Hadi said in a statement Sunday the government has decided “not to take part in any meeting until the militia recognizes Resolution 2216 and agrees to implement it without conditions.”
The announcement follows a number of failed attempts to get the two factions together for peace talks.
President Hadi fled Yemen earlier this year. His government is operating from Saudi Arabia.
Multiple parties have been fighting for control of Yemen since the Houthis advanced on Sana’a, the capital, last September. The clashes have killed thousands of fighters and civilians after Saudi Arabia began an air offensive on Yemen in March, driving the country into a humanitarian crisis.
…